Friday, March 25, 2011

A Six Arrows Farm Update

"Water, water everywhere, nor any drop to drink.”
 – Samuel Taylor Coleridge, The Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner

 There is a sort of battle that rankles in a young soul when they begin to see the child in themselves. Unconscious childhood is precious then, because it is unreachable. No longer can the lighthearted thoughts fly free of convention and reality. It is the blessed one who can treasure the childlike innocence and beauty of youth and carry it tenderly in their hearts into the wisdom and maturity that comes with age. In the irresistible draw of nature, I think the Creator leaves a door to childlike conviction open that we must choose to go through or shut. I didn’t particularly wish to drag myself through the mud and spent snow to poke about in the snow-melt, but I’m glad Sam prodded me away from the realities and conventions of my habitually grown life long enough to revel in the timelessness of it. By God’s grace, there will always be a sunshiny carefree girl dancing away in the heart of me that wants to go out and dabble in a puddle.
No, you can’t drink any of it (something I thankfully learned before I understood why), but there is plenty of water to go around. I put my foot through an innocent looking drift and found it running knee-deep and strong beneath me, chattering and merrily unconcerned about being exposed to the light. Of course the last gasp of a Minnesota winter happens long after it is thought probable, so I’m not declaring Spring yet; even though technically the calendar says it’s here. I sincerely believe the weather is just daring us to get comfortable with the idea before dumping on us.
Half of me is willing May to come with all my might. The other half is frozen in dread…no, not really.
But the truth is, as Aubrey mentioned driving home one day, one hardly knows what to think. With May comes the tasks of garden and farm. I have to admit, “The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.” My spirit rises up to the challenge of fallow ground, ripe and ready for gardens to till and plant, animals to grow and life to thrive. The flesh…well let’s just say “it” doesn’t relish the idea of sweat. Frankly, though, I can’t wait to sink my teeth into a warm ripe strawberry or crunch through a gushingly crisp snow-pea.
This year we have the added anticipation of Garrison’s graduation. As you may already know, our family strives to excel, and at the very least revels in the making of celebrations on the slightest (or greatest) provocation. This one will be no exception. I am unofficially planning the flower gardens with the help of our green-house expert, Aubrey, who is doing the preliminary planting for our Market garden as well. Mama is planning stupendous quantities of delectable viands, for the preparation of which every one of us lends two hands. Daddy is Master of Ceremonies and Advisor in technical difficulties. The boys are responsible to primarily direct the order of the farm for guests. And we all clean…a lot. :o)
Along with the responsibilities that this home presents, the boys are finishing off a season of orchestra and the wedding season for our quartet is looming up in the future. After all, how can we maintain the (in?)sanity more effectively than with the help of good music!? (Incidentally, don’t you think the boys are remarkably dashing in their tuxes? I just had to include a picture. :0) )
Craig, Karen and The Six Arrows
Six Arrows Farm
(507) 356-8223

P.S. It may interest the readers to know that I never write an update without the influence and atmosphere of good music…most often classical. I often wish I could include the lovely sounds with the updates, since it often communicates expressly what I am thinking without the weight of American English. At the moment, I am harkening to the rich, refined splendor and delicate exuberance of early Beethoven as used in a relatively modern soundtrack. Follow these links if you want the full experience!...Here for the inspiration (really the whole septet was inspiration) and Here and Here for the way Andrew Davies used it in BBC’s 1995 Pride and Prejudice Soundtrack. :0) I never lose and opportunity to defend my position on good soundtracks: namely, they are, nearly without exception, always inspired by an original classical piece, if not an almost direct plagiarization. Try comparing the West Wing track from Disney’s Beauty and the Beast to Camille Saint Saen’s Aquarium from the Carnival of the Animals if you are intrigued!

No comments: